Monday 22 April 2013

Welcome to Home Front Book Club!


Welcome! This book club is the online version of  the book club segment on the Home Front Radio program which airs on PRTV (Plateau State Radio and Television) 90.5 FM Station every Sunday by 7.00pm. And from that five minutes segment which has aired thrice now, a physical book club is to be  birthed with its meetings holding every second Saturday of every month at Oasis Bookshop, along Abattoir/Airforce Road just opposite Jos Flour Mills in Jos, Plateau State.

My name is Modupe Taiwo, I am also called Dupitai by friends and i initiated and anchor the segment on radio and will coordinate the book club. I am your regular girl next door who loves reading and writing and wishes to mingle with people of like minds. Having started reading at an early age, I understand and see reading as a necessity for living just as food is to the body so is books food for the brain.

My number one goal to be achieved with this blog is to improve the reading culture of Nigerians which i think is almost extinct. I discovered that these days, people would rather watch the movie version of any book rather than read the book. I have nothing against movies as I am a movie freak myself but the place of reading cannot be replaced by anything. Like I mentioned above, the food for the brain are the books you read and the knowledge you acquire from them. So, if you want to develop your intellectual potential to full capacity, you need books especially motivational and inspirational books and then, depending on your interests, other genres.

So, on this blog on a weekly basis, i will update you on what happened on the radio version and in our meetings. Oh! Our first meeting is coming up May 18th, 2013 @ Oasis Bookshop at the address quoted above by 12pm. You will also be able to listen to the podcast (i am working on it) of the book i reviewed on radio. For more details about joining the club, drop  me a mail or ping me, my contact details are somewhere on this blog. Please feel free to leave comments as I love feed backs especially with constructive criticisms and suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Job Modupe. I follow you guys always on home front, hope this book club stuff succeeds.

    Like you are reading my mind, just when I was about selling the idea of having a personal blog to you guyz, you just came up with one. Well done!

    I wish you could consider hosting the domain name on a paid account (such as www.hfbookclub.com), which am ready to help you with. That is if you are interested.

    Lets use it as a medium to revive the culture of reading among the people. With a blog, the whole thing can go virile you know!

    The lord is your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephen. I am greatly encouraged by your comment.

    I do website designing so i do have plans to have a proper website for the book club. The blog is a test run. Let me know how you can be of help and we can do it together.

    Hope to see you May 18th?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!