Thursday 12 September 2013

Why You Act The Way You Do


This book is one of the many that had great impact on my life. This is because it has helped me to understand myself better and improve my relationship with others. It talks about the different temperaments i.e Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholy and Phlegmatic.  Tim Lahaye in this books says our temperaments influences everything we do from our handwriting, the way we shop, eat, drive, child discipline (for parents) to our study habits.

What I really like about the book is found in the last part of the book titled; Temperament and Your Spiritual Life.  This part is about  the spiritual gifts and the temperaments suited for each. It gives a guide on how to tailor your personal Bible study to your kind of person. What do i mean? For instance, Sanguines are lively,spontaneous people who will have problems with consistency with anything they do. So they may have have to make rules for themselves e.g no Bible study, no breakfast or something similar. A melancholy will not have a problem with consistency but may become technically involved in his personal Bible study  and will do little to apply the lessons to his life.

On a personal note, I learnt that the mood swings i am prone to, is as a result of my being a melancholy and that is just the way i am wired or created. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with me. The book also opened my eyes to see my strengths and weaknesses in a new light and how to use my gifts, talents well. I will recommend this book to everyone,especially parents; so you can  understand your children better and be able to help them when figuring out their identity. 

It is also a good one for teenagers to read, especially those seeking admission into tertiary institutions to know what career path to take. A career suited to their personality. I  made that mistake of studying a course i am not suited for. I studied Agricultural Management and Extension but i have never worked in that field.  So it is with many people in the market place, struggling to find satisfaction and happiness in a job they are simply not cut out for. Why You Act The Way You Do is a must read and in addition a must have! This is because you will need to keep referring to it, so you need it in your library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!